I didn’t have much time to hike Saturday, but wanted to get out for a couple of hours, as well as see something new. After discussing some options with Joseph, we decided on Devil’s Chair.
Most of the trip reports I’ve found for this hike start in the Devil’s Punchbowl. An excellent write-up on this route is posted on Modern Hiker: HIKING THE DEVIL’S CHAIR. We opted to start our hike from the east, starting at South Fork/Big Rock Creek.
Some notes on trail condition:
- The trail is generally well-defined and easy to follow.
- If conditions are slick (ice, snow, rain), you may opt for another hike or trailhead. Parts of the trail are very narrow, situation on a steep slope (see photos below).
The gallery contains panoramas and will load slowly. Thank you for your patience.
|If you regularly hike or backpack in California, please join our Facebook group, California Hiking and Backpacking!
It’s a great place to ask questions and share your photos, trip reports and gear recommendations.
The conditions were excellent for testing the winter traction devices I’ve received over that last few weeks:
- HOKA One One Tor Summit Mid WP Hiking Boot – Men’s
- Since rain was in the forecast, I wore these boots. With the vibram outsoles, they have the best grip of any boots I’ve owned.
- Seek Outside
- Unaweep Divide 4500 Backpack – My second hike with this backpack. A little large for a hike like this, but I want to get some miles on it before my Utah & Colorado Backpacking, Hiking and Snowshoeing trip later this month.